Major Storm Warning Saturday Night - Monday
This upcoming storm coincides with Thanksgiving weekend travel, so please be aware that there will be chain controls, slow-moving traffic and road closures as the snow flies. We strongly encourage you to check the weather, road status, snow reports, and lift status as we move into a dynamic weather pattern. Here are some helpful tips & links to help you save your weekend and time your travel accordingly. Please travel safely!
National Weather Service Warning
Helpful Travel Links
Save these links & use them to plan your travel day.
- For the most in-depth, detailed forecast, visit the NOAA Weather forecast for Olympic Valley. Adjust the location according to your route.
- To view highway webcams, closure, chain control, and incident information in California, use the Caltrans Quickmap Website & App
- To view highway webcams, closure, chain control, and incident information in Nevada, use the NV Roads 511 Website & App
- To check the status of California highway closures, use Caltrans Highway Status
- For local information, check the CHP - Truckee Facebook Page. They are an active, responsive, and informative resource.
Winter driving conditions in the Sierra can change rapidly, leading to whiteouts, accidents, and traffic delays.
If you simply must travel this weekend, here are some things to remember.
- Have extra water, food, and warm clothing in the car with you. Be prepared to be waiting for long periods of time.
- Carry chains and know how to use them.
- Do not leave the area without a full tank of gas.
- If you do not have a 4-wheel or All-wheel drive vehicle, we strongly recommend that you do not attempt to drive until Monday.
- Become familiar with this list of Winter Driving Tips.