Storm Moves In Today, Moves Out Saturday

Category: Weather
The Storm

The next storm is winding up off the coast and pushing towards us this morning.  Not much change to the forecast for the upcoming week.  We are expecting heavy snowfall this evening and overnight, lighter snow showers Wednesday-Thursday, and then heavier snowfall again Thursday night-Friday night.  In total we could see 2-3 feet at the base and 3-5+ feet on the mountain by Saturday.


We have higher snow levels to start this morning, sitting around 8,000 feet. We also have ridge top wind gusts to 80 mph causing some lift issues. We could see some rain and snow move in by late morning with snow levels falling closer to 7,000 feet by early afternoon. We could see 1-4 inches of snow fall during the day today above 7,0000 feet.

Then this evening a strong cold front brings heavier snowfall and drops snow levels below the base. By Wednesday morning we could have 15-25 inches of new snow on the mountain, and 11-15 inches at the base.

Wednesday Weather 

Wednesday into Wednesday night we are expecting much ligher snow showers with only a few inches during the day Wednesday and a few more Wednesday night. In total we could see an additional 3-6 inches by Thursday morning.

Wednesday Operations

Please note: Because the storm came in as rain before turning to snow, this will likely cause rime ice build-up on lifts as the temperatures drop and rain freezes tonight. Crews will be spinning the lifts overnight when possible, and more staff will be here as early as possible to manually beat the ice off the chairlift grips and towers. Ice removal paired with snow safety work in the morning could cause delayed openings. 

During this storm cycle, be sure to check real-time conditions and lift status via the Mobile App, Lift & Trail Status Page, and Mountain Ops Twitter. Please also stay tuned to the NOAA forecast & advisories in the area, and Caltrans Road Conditions. NOAA has issued a Winter Storm Warning for the Greater Tahoe area in effect until tomorrow, so please use caution while traveling. 


Thurday we are expecting the lighest snowfall and even a possible break in the action ahead of the 2nd round of heavy precip moving in.  We may only see an inch of snow during the day.  Then Thursday nigth the heavy snowfall returns as low pressure pushes into CA.  We could see an additional 8-13 inches by Friday morning.


Snow showers continue into Friday night as the main area of low pressure moves through the area.  By Saturday morning we could see an additional 9-18 inches of snow.


Saturday the storm winds down and we start to clear out, but some scattered snow showers could bring an final dusting to an inch of snow to the mountain.

In Total

In total over the 4 day period we could see 2-3+ feet at the base and 3-5+ feet on the mountain.  This is a storm with a lot of moving pieces that need to come in just right or we could see less snowfall.  Tune in for the daily updates as we get closer.


The trough still looks like it is going to settle in over the West Coast through the week of the 19th.  That should allow more storms to drop down from the North Pacific and bring us some more snow next week.  

The forecast models are split on whether we could finally see a drier pattern the week of the 26th, or if storms could continue.



Save big this Spring with the Tahoe Super 4. Now only $236, you can ski any 4 days for just $59/day!