For Immediate Release
Liesl Kenney, Public Relations Director
Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows
530.452.7111 or Lkenney@squawalpine.com
Sam Kieckhefer, Public Relations Coordinator
Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows
530.584.6035 or Skieckhefer@squawalpine.com
Resort offers incentives for riding to work including prizes for miles traveled by bicycle, basic bike repairs and access to new commuter and e-assist bikes
[Olympic Valley, Calif.] May 19, 2017 – To encourage employees to be active, take advantage of good weather and reduce individual vehicle miles traveled, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows launched “Ride On,” a new employee bike to work program in conjunction with the start of “Bike to Work Week.” By joining the resort’s free Strava club team, resort employees will track their mileage and be eligible to win prizes awarded by the resort’s Human Resources department.
“With this being the start of Bike to Work Week, we’re excited to launch our new Ride On employee bike to work program,” said Brittany Clelan, vice president of Human Resources at Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows. “Not only do we want to encourage our employees to get outdoors and be active as part of our wellness initiatives, we believe that collectively, our team can help make a difference as it relates to reducing emissions and greenhouse gases by riding, rather than driving to work.”
As part of the participating employees’ commuter mileage tracking, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows will also enable a carbon offset tracking system so employees can see the direct impact their efforts have on reducing their overall carbon footprint.
The resort is also offering a bike maintenance center in Parallel Sports in the Village at Squaw Valley for employees in need of basic bike repairs, access to new commuter and e-assist bikes that are part of the resort’s 80+ bike rental fleet, and has made on-site shower facilities available to Ride On participants at the resort’s uniform office.
How Ride On works:
- Employees participating in the Ride On program will download the free Strava app to their smartphone and join the Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Strava club team
- Each day, participants will log in to Strava to track their commuter miles
- The employee who accumulates the most commuter miles between May 15 and July 4 will win the top prize
- For employees without a smartphone, the Squaw Alpine HR team will connect a bike computer to their bike to manually track and record miles traveled
- HR will share updates and track total employee miles and carbon footprint reduction to encourage participation and light competition
- Prizes for employees with the most commuter miles logged between May 15 and July 4 include an Electra Cruizer 7D, two pair of Oakley sunglasses with Prizm Road lens, and two Patagonia Black Hole Messenger Bags.
“We live and work in one of the most beautiful places on the planet, and are excited to offer a program to our employees that not only offers personal health benefits, but can have a positive impact on our environment as well,” continued Clelan.
The Ride On program will continue beyond the initial program launch with regular incentives offered to employees who bike to work after July 4 as well.
About Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows
Voted ‘Best Ski Resort’ in North America for the second year in a row by USA Today and 10Best Readers’ Choice 2017, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is an internationally renowned mountain resort in North Lake Tahoe that spans over 6,000 skiable acres. The resort features slopeside lodging at The Village at Squaw Valley®, which bustles year-round with nonstop events and over 50 bars, restaurants and boutiques. With an annual average of 450 inches of snowfall and 300 sunny days, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is known as the Spring Skiing Capital™ as it provides one of the longest ski and snowboard seasons in Lake Tahoe. Skiers and riders of all ability levels are welcomed by over 65 percent beginner and intermediate terrain, 14 easy-to-navigate mountain zones and a custom app to make the most of every visit. Visit squawalpine.com or call 1.800.403.0206 to learn more.
# # #