What a season we're having at Squaw Alpine! So far we've received 715" (almost 60 feet) on the upper mountain, experienced our snowiest month ever (who can forget #februBURIED?), and skied some of Tahoe's best and deepest powder. After what seemed like endless storm days during the height of this winter, Spring weather arrived! We were loving the warmer temperatures, sunny skies and soft snow... and then we received a further 33" in May. Thanks to this amazing snow season, we look forward to hosting Tahoe's longest season once again. As we move deeper into the Spring and Summer seasons, our operations will shift due to snowmelt, weather & conditions and scheduled lift maintenance and construction. Here is our anticipated operating schedule (weather and conditions permitting) so you can plan your Spring shredding.
Squaw Valley Lift Operations
We still have over a month to go at Squaw Valley! Here are the details:
- Squaw Valley will be open for skiing & riding daily through Memorial Day (Monday, May 27). Join us for the Made in Tahoe festival on Memorial Day Weekend!
- Current hours 8am-2pm to maximize time with the best Spring conditions
- The last day of KT-22 will be Monday, May 27.
- Squaw Valley will be open every weekend (Friday – Sunday) from May 31 – June 30
- Squaw Valley will be open for the Fourth of July Weekend, Wednesday, July 3 – Sunday, July 7. Join us for Lake Tahoe Freedom Fest and a free DJ show by Paul Oakenfold!
While the upper mountain at Squaw still has ample coverage (over 180" base at 8,000'), snow depths at the base area/lower mountain get thinner each day with the warm weather. Our crews also have to perform routine maintenance on chairlifts every summer in preparation for the following season, and this work needs to start right away to make sure we are ready to open in time. Based on these factors, here is the anticipated lift operating plan at Squaw Valley, conditions permitting:
- May 27: Last day for KT-22
- May 27: Last day for Granite Chief, Mountain Meadow and Bailey's Beach
- June 9th: Last day for Siberia and for terrain park operations
- Friday-Sunday May 31-June 30 & July 3-7: The Funitel, Big Blue, Gold Coast and Shirley Lake will be open for skiing & riding, weather and conditions permitting.
Alpine Meadows Lift Operations
If you haven't already heard, Alpine Meadows is getting a brand new lift for next season! The current Hot Wheels chairlift is being replaced and extended with a High Speed Quad. The new chairlift will have an unload-only mid-station where the current top terminal of Hot Wheels is. From there, the path will turn 31 degrees and continue up to the top of Sherwood Cliffs (looker's right of Arts Knob). This is an extensive project, and work including pre-construction and tree removal will start next week to ensure the construction is complete for the 2019/20 season.
Whether you love to hit the park features or just watch the action from the lift, spring terrain parks are always a blast at the Spring Skiing Capital! Gold Coast terrain park operations will run through Sunday, June 9th thanks to the extra snow we received in May.
High Camp Hot Tub
The High Camp Hot Tub is FINALLY open thanks to the hard work of our crew. Here are the details:
- The Hot Tub is open daily from 9am to 4pm, weather & conditions permitting, through Monday, May 27th
- The Hot Tub will be open Fri-Sun for the first 2 weekends of June.
- The pool is scheduled to open on Friday, June 14th & will be open daily until August 5th. On August 5th, both the High Camp Pool & Hot Tub will close indefinitely for a complete renovation. Disc Golf, Roller Skating, & Hiking will still be open at this time.