Everything on Track for a Big Storm Thursday-Sunday, More Storms Next Week

Category: Weather

The Storm


NOAA Forecast for the next few days

Winds are light this morning so get out on the hill.  Winds should not be an issue until tonight. We have increasing clouds today and could see some light snow showers move in by afternoon. Highs will be in the 20's on the mountain.

Snowy and Windy Thursday

Tonight more light snow continues with several inches possible by morning. Thursday morning as the cold front approaches the winds pick up to 100 mph on the ridges and the snowfall becomes heavy. With white-out conditions and high winds expect a lot of lifts to be closed for Thursday. The heavy snowfall continues into Thursday night, with over 3 feet of snow possible on the mountain by Friday morning.

Friday Powder

Friday we are expecting the winds to come down, possible below 50 mph gusts on the ridges, which could allow the lifts to open. We are also expecting much lighter snowfall with only several inches possible during the day. There will need to be extensive avalanche control performed and lifts dug out, so expect that there could be delays in opening the lifts. Once they do open it will be deep and powdery!


More deep powder on the way! Photo: Jeff Engerbretson from February 26, 2018 of Amie Engerbretson
More Snow Into Saturday

Friday night into Saturday morning the final wave of precipitation moves through. This could drop another foot on the mountain by Saturday afternoon when the storm moves out. Winds may come back up Friday night, but should drop off again during the day on Saturday. The untracked spots will be really deep and the tracked out spots will be filled back in again for Saturday.  

In total we could see 3-4 feet of snow at the base, and up to 5 feet on the upper mountain by Saturday night. It is possible if the wettest models are right and if the bullseye of heaviest precip hits NW of the lake, that we could see over 5 feet up top, but for now we'll just expect 4-5 feet. Sunday the winds should drop off and the sun should come out with highs in the 20's. If you are lucky enough to be up here it should be the best day of the season if you combine the amount of coverage, the fresh powder, and beautiful weather we should see.

Real-Time Information 

During storm cycles and dynamic weather patterns, we always encourage our guests to check real-time conditions and lift status via our Mobile App, Lift & Trail Status Page, and Mountain Ops Twitter. Please also stay tuned to the NOAA forecast & advisories in the area, and Caltrans Road Conditions.

Next Week

We should have a break Monday and Tuesday next week with high temperatures warming into the 30's.  

It's not long before the next strong storm could move in by Wednesday.  The forecast models disagree on how cold this storm is and how fast it moves through.  We could see some higher snow levels with a faster hitting storm Wednesday.  Or a slower and colder storm that lasts a few days again.  So we will be watching that closely!

Long-Range

The storms look to continue through the 2nd week of March, possibly becoming colder again.

-BA

Best Rate Guarantee

Save $40 on lift tickets when you buy by midnight the night before. It's our best rate guarantee!

Buy Tickets