2-4+ Feet Possible on the Mountain by Saturday

Category: Weather
Nice Start to the Week

Monday we should see times of clouds and sun with highs in the 40's on the mountain and 50's at the base.  We could see wind gusts to 30+ mph on the ridge tops by afternoon.

The Storm

The next storm is winding up off the coast and will be pushing moisture into Northern CA by Monday night. Not much change to the forecast for the upcoming week.  It's still a complicated storm and the forecast models are not in agreement on timing and details still. But the overall forecast of 1-2+ feet on the mountains by Thursday morning and 1-2+ more by Saturday is still the forecast for this 5 day storm.


We have higher snow levels to start on Tuesday, around 8,000 feet. So we should see some lower elevation rain during the day, and also strong wind gusts that could close lifts.  Then Tuesday evening a strong cold front brings heavier snowfall and drops snow levels below the base. By Wednesday morning we could have 13-21 inches of new snow on the mountain, and 6-12 inches at the base.


Wednesday into Wednesday night the forecast models disagree on whether we see a break or another wave of precipitation moves in. If it does we could see an additional 6-10 inches of snow on the mountain, and 4-7 inches at the base.


Thursday into Friday the forecast models disagree on the timing of the main area of low pressure moving in with more snowfall, but we should see some heavier snowfall as it does. That will come either Thursday into Thursday night, or Thursday night into Friday.  Then lighter snow showers possible into Friday night before the storm clears out on Saturday. We could see an additional 11-17 inches on the mountain by Friday morning, and 7-11 at the base. 


Snow showers continue into Friday night as the main area of low pressure moves through the area. By Saturday morning we could see an additional 12-16 inches on the mountain and 8-12 at the base. 


Saturday the storm winds down and we start to clear out, but the latest forecast model runs keep scattered snow showers around that could drop a final 1-2 inches of snow on the mountain.

In Total

In total over the 4 day period we could see 2-3 feet at the base and 3-4+ feet on the upper mountain. This is a complicated storm with a lot of moving pieces that need to come in just right or we could see less snowfall. Tune in for the daily updates as we get closer.


The trough still looks like it is going to settle in over the West Coast through the week of the 19th. That should allow more storms to drop down from the North Pacific and bring us some more snow next week.  

The forecast models are split on whether we could finally see a drier pattern the week of the 26th, or if storms could continue.


Spring Savings

Save big this Spring with the Tahoe Super 4. Now only $236, you can ski any 4 days for just $59/day!