Big Mountain Snowboarder
Sammy was born in Phoenix, AZ, but at the age of 1, he moved to Alaska, where he spent most of his childhood years. He began to snowboard at the age of 7, in his hometown of Girdwood, AK. At the age of 9 he began competing on USASA's half pipe and slope style circuit. Sammy won many consecutive first place and overall titles in both disciplines. This got the attention of the industry and he picked up his first sponsor at age 9. At this point, he relocated to Truckee, CA to follow his dreams and pursue a professional snowboarding career in the Sierra's. Sammy's love of competing naturally progressed into the other spectrum of the sport, which was filming. From there, Sammy's love for freestyle snowboarding really took off. He was the youngest competitor to ever win the "Subaru Freeskiing Championship" at the age of 16. At age 21, Sammy decided to continue to film video parts, while simultaneously taking on the North Face Master's Series, in which he was able to win the overall title his first year competing. This propelled him to the top qualifying spot onto the Swatch Freeride World Tour in 2012.
In 2016, Sammy was finally able to snag the coveted Freeride World Tour Championship title, in true Sammy fashion, by winning 3 out of 5 events and clinching the title in Alaska before the finals, which no other men's snowboarder had ever accomplished before. In 2017, Sammy won the Freeride World Tour Championship for a second year in a row, by taking 1st place in 4 of 5 events. Sammy continues to train hard, in his current hometown of Truckee, at his most beloved place to ride, Squaw Valley.
Competition Results and Accolades
- 2018 Freeride World Tour overall Champion
- 2018 1st Place Vallonard-Arcalis Andorra - Freeride World Tour
- 2018 1st Place Verbier, Switzerland - Freeride World Tour
- 2017 Freeride World Tour overall Champion
- 2017 1st Place Vallonard-Arcalis Andorra - Freeride World Tour
- 2017 1st Place Fieberbrunn, Austria - Freeride World Tour
- 2017 1st Place Haines, Alaska - Freeride World Tour
- 2017 1st Place Xreme Verbier, Switzerland
- 2016 Freeride World Tour overall Champion
- 2016 1st Place Chamonix, France - Freeride World Tour
- 2016 1st place Fieberbrunn, Austria - Freeride World Tour
- 2016 2nd place Haines, Alaska - Freeride World Tour
- 2016 1st place Verbier, Switzerland - Freeride World Tour
- 2016 TGR "Tight Loose"
- 2012 Standard Film's TB20
- 2011 Opening Part in Standard Film's "The Storming"
- 2009 Transworld Film's "Get Real"
- 2008 Brain Farm's "Thats it, That's All."
- 2008 Standard Film's "Aesthetica"
- 2005 Oakley's "The Community Project"
- Instagram: @sammy_luebke
Explore Sammy's adventures at Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows on Instagram and Twitter