The Community of Writers at Squaw Valley, one of the oldest and most prestigious writers workshops in the country, has opened enrollment for its 2018 summer writing workshops in Squaw Valley. The gatherings are for serious poets and writers, and include workshops, panel discussions, and craft talks as well as special interest classes. Improve your craft and move closer to publication. The Community has a competitive admissions procedure and the level of writing is high, but interested writers and poets should not hesitate to apply.
- June 23 - July 30, 2018
- 70 poets that are admitted to the program meet daily to share poems written during the last 24 hours, as well as attend craft talks, lectures, and readings
- 2018 staff includes Pulitzer Prize winning poets Robert Hass and Sharon Olds and renown staff members Kazim Ali, Evie Shockley, Dean Young and Mónica de la Torre
- July 8-15, 2018
- Accept up to 110 fiction, nonfiction, and memoir writers
- Writers meet in small groups to workshop their submitted manuscript, attend craft lectures and panels, and learn the ins and outs of the publishing business from editors and agents
- 2018 teaching staff includes Tom Barbash, Charmaine Craig, Leslie Daniels, Karen Joy Fowler, Glen David Gold, Sands Hall, Dana Johnson, Louis B. Jones, Edan Lepucki, Edie Meidav, Patricia K. Meyer, Peter Orner, Kirstin Valdez Quade, Jason Roberts, Elizabeth Rosner, Margaret Wilkerson Sexton, Julia Flynn Siler, Elizabeth Tallent, and Andrew Winer. There will be Special Guest appearances by Max Byrd, Mo Gawdat, Michelle Latiolais, New York Times bestseller Gabriel Tallent, and international bestseller, Amy Tan.
Admissions are competitive and writing level is high. Acceptance is based on a submitted original writing sample, which is evaluated by a panel of judges on the basis of literary merit only. The deadline to apply for summer 2018 workshops is March 28, 2018. Some financial aid is available.
For more information, please visit squawvalleywriters.org, or contact Brett Hall Jones at 530-470-8440, or by email at email@example.com.