The Community of Writers at Squaw Valley, one of the oldest and most prestigious writers workshops in the country, has opened enrollment for its 2019 summer writing workshops in Squaw Valley. The gatherings are for serious poets and writers, and include workshops, panel discussions, and craft talks as well as special interest classes. Founded almost five decades ago, it is now a community to many of the most eminent American writers and poets.
- June 22 - July 29, 2019
- 70 poets that are admitted to the program meet daily to share poems written during the last 24 hours, as well as attend craft talks, lectures, and readings
- 2019 staff includes Pulitzer Prize winning poets Robert Hass, Gregory Pardlo and Sharon Olds and renown staff members Forrest Gander, Brenda Hillman, David Tomas Martinez and Jane Miller.
- July 8-15, 2019
- Accepts up to 120 fiction, nonfiction, and memoir writers
- Writers meet in small groups to workshop their submitted manuscript, attend craft lectures and panels, and learn the ins and outs of the publishing business from editors and agents
- 2019 teaching staff include Joyce Carol Oates, Amy Tan, and Katherine Dion. Featured writers include Janet Fitch, Dagoberto Gilb, Margaret Wilkerson Sexton, Krys Lee, Howard Norman, Vanessa Hua, Tom Lutz, Leland Cheuk, and Ramona Ausubel, just to name a few.
All interested writers and poets are encouraged to apply, though admission is competitive and the level of writing is high. No prior publications or academic credits are required; the only criterion for admission is that the applicant submit a sample of her or his own original writing. Admissions are competitive, as the ratio of applicants to acceptances is generally more than 2 or 3-to-1. The deadline to apply for summer 2019 workshops is March 28, 2019. Some financial aid is available.
Alumni of the Community of Writers include Pulitzer Prize-winners Michael Chabon and Richard Ford, best-selling novelists such as Jennifer Egan, Anne Rice, Janet Fitch, Joshua Ferris, Jamie Ford, Alice Sebold, and Amy Tan; successful alumni poets include Kazim Ali, Bruce Bond, Molly Fisk, Evie Shockley, and National Book Critics Circle Award Winner Claudia Rankine.
For more information, please visit squawvalleywriters.org, or contact Brett Hall Jones at 530-470-8440, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.