- Hometown: Santa Cruz, CA
- Skiing Inspiration: Scot Schmidt and Shane McConkey. Two of the most iconic skiers of all time who called Squaw their home.
- Favorite Zone: KT-22. Are there other places to ski at Squaw?
- Favorite Run: East Bowl to KT Gap to Fingers.
- Best Squaw Alpine Memory: From banking down Hot Wheels Gully when I was 5 to jumping the fingers for the first time when I was 16, there are honestly too many lifetime memories made at Squaw and Alpine to say which one is the best.
- Go-to Après Spot: Wildflour! Cookies and coffee make for the best après treat.
- Favorite Event: Mothership Classic. Shredding old school gear on the best chair in the world while raising money for charity. What’s not to love?
- Greatest Achievement: Skiing for a living, I mean, how cool is that?
- Best Ski Accessory: Well an Arcade Belt of course. Because if your pants fall down, you’re gonna have a bad time.
Cody Townsend grew up shredding the slopes of Squaw Valley. His dedication to freeskiing has spanned the course of the last decade or so, and over the course of that time he has moved into an elite company of big mountain skiers. Townsend is perhaps most famous for his 2014 “Line of the Year” in the Tordrillo Mountains of Alaska, where he shoots down a nearly impossibly narrow couloir and pops out the other side. Video of the line in Days of My Youth got recognition from headline media such as The Today Show, and Townsend’s line, aptly named “The Crack,” took home three wins at the Powder Awards in 2014. He continues to be a leader in the big mountain skiing world. He currently resides in Tahoe City with his wife, professional skier Elyse Saugstad, and their dog Theo.
Race Results and Accolades
- 1st place: Swatch Big Mountain Pro Invitational 2010
- 1st place: Swatch Skier’s Cup 2014
- 1st place: Swatch Skier’s Cup 2012 (Team Captain)
- Outside Magazine Line of the Year 2014: “The Crack”
- Winner: Best Male Performance: Freeskier Magazine 2008
- Winner: Best Performance, Best Line, Full Throttle: Powder Video Awards 2014
Explore Cody's adventures at Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows on Instagram and Twitter