S.A.F.E. A.S. Clinics is a women's tailored, beginner to experienced friendly avalanche awareness and safety clinic. Founded by Elyse Saugstad, Jackie Paaso, Michelle Parker, Ingrid Backstrom, Lel Tone and Sherry McConkey with the intention to foster an open, welcoming and enthusiastic environment by which to encourage particiation and communication to play in the mountains during the winter safely. Partial proceeds from the events are donated to snow community non-profits.
- What: One day women's intro to avalanche safety and fundraiser with classroom, on-snow training and morning yoga
- Who: Women, ages 14 & older who are interested in snow and avalanche safety in and out of bounds and who enjoy a good time for a good cause. Participants are asked to provide their own avay beacon, shovel, probe and backpack
- By Who: Taught by Squaw Valley's own avalanche forecaster, Alaska heli-ski guide and AIARE (American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education) Avalanche Instructor Lel Tone, hosted by ski professionals Elyse Saugstad, Michelle Parker, Jackie Paaso, Ingrid Backtrom and snowboard professional Robin Van Gyn, with yoga by certified instructor Sherry McConkey.
- 7am-12pm: Classroom time in the Palisades Room
- 12-1pm: Lunch at Wildflour Bakery
- 1-1:30pm: On hill intro
- 1:30-4pm: On snow field travel in smaller groups
- 4-5pm: Palisades room for debrief and conclusion
- 5-6pm: Rocker for fundraiser raffle and apres party